Established boutique intellectual property law firm is seeking an experienced legal secretary to join their team! Position will support 2 attorneys and is responsible for monitoring filing deadlines, E-filing, communicating with clients and conducting research. A detailed list of responsibilities is below but the ideal candidate will have 4+ years of trademarking and patent prosecution as well as some litigation experience.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following.
- Prepares legal papers and correspondence of legal nature for Litigation proceedings, Patent Applications, Trademark/Service Mark Applications, and/or Copyright Applications and completes prosecution through issuance as assigned.
- Prepares legal papers and correspondence of legal nature for post-registration of U.S. and foreign trademark/service marks as assigned.
- Prepares and files legal papers re Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) Domain Name Disputes as assigned.
- Prepares and files legal papers re USDC litigation filings for Patent/Trademark infringement and other IP disputes.
- Electronically files legal documents with the USPTO and Federal Court as assigned.
- Prepares reports for clients, researches USPTO procedures and practices as assigned.
- Prepares proforma invoices and tracks taxes and maintenance fees as assigned.
- Reviews and proofreads work of others as assigned.
- Maintains a calendar of drop dead dates for assigned attorney(s) in either paper form or in Outlook as assigned.
- Prints and routes calendars to Docket Department at the end of each month.
- Manages attorney(s) calendar and assists in meeting deadlines as assigned.
- Performs other clerical duties such as scheduling appointments, providing information to callers, transcribing, composing and typing routine correspondence, and reading and routing incoming mail as assigned.
- Files all mediums of incoming and outgoing correspondence and legal documents in office files.
- Manages emails in Outlook from receipt to saving in document management system.
- Ensures proper indexing and filing of original legal documents.
- May assist in training other staff personnel on Firm practices and procedures, including participating in seminars re new procedures or methods of operation.
- May assist with drafting firm procedures and guidelines as assigned.
Experience & Skills:
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of FileSite
- Document Management System, CPI Docket Management Database software, the Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook 2010, Word 2010, PowerPoint and Excel, as well as Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard and Adobe Reader Software.
- Strong internet navigation skills including ability to obtain information pertaining to clients and client projects using the Internet USPTO Website Navigation, EFS Web Filing for USPTO, EPCT Filing, Rules of 37 CFR, LexisNexis Patent Optimizer, USDC websites and E-filing systems.
- Must also have knowledge of web-based time and attendance program, PC Docs, Best Authority, Shoretel phone software, LMS Time Entry system, and digital transcription software.
We are an equal opportunity employer and make hiring decisions based on merit. Recruitment, hiring, training, and job assignments are made without regard to race, color, national origin, age, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, or any other protected classification. We consider all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To apply please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org